Watermelon mint juice screams summer and refreshment. It is a great party drink that can be drunk as is, with alcohol, or with sparkling water. It is top 8 allergens free, dairy/gluten free, and vegan.
This is an easy method if you don't have a juicer. I love my blender and use it all the time. I love to use it to make juices I know our kids can have without any allergy issues. They are super quick.
The Non-Juicer Directions to Make Watermelon Mint Juice
For the watermelon mint juice recipe here you could use a high speed blender, or an immersion blender in a pinch, or even a fine mesh sieve and spoon. If you use the last method your juice will be cloudier than the others and you’ll need to add the water to the strained juice after juicing rather than before. You can use whatever method you’d like to separate the juice from the pulp.
- To use the blender and put a few things in with it to give a bit more depth of flavour.
- Slice watermelon flesh cut in chunks off the rind.
- Save the rinds to pickle if you wish and make less food waste.
- Add the zest of one lemon and a small handful of mint. About 6 of the largest leaves from a mint bunch.
- Pour in a cup of water to help it all blend well.
- Pop in the blender and blend. Once it is puréed, run the juice through a super fine mesh sieve over a large pot or jug.
- For a clearer running juice, take a coffee filter open it up, rinse a bit with water and set it in the mesh filter. Use care with the coffee filter as you can only put enough juice in so it doesn’t go over the filter. The coffee filters need to fit your sieve. It takes longer and if you press the filter or the pulp the juice will be cloudier again, it is best to leave it to drip. A jam filter can be also used, if left to drip overnight for the clearest juice.
When all strained the juice can be kept in the fridge for a few days or frozen in ice cubes for two months. The pulp left over can be used to make watermelon simple syrup or dehydrated fruit leathers snacks.
Ingredients to Make Watermelon Lime Juice :
Watermelon- really ripe ones work best and are the sweetest. Save the rinds to make watermelon rind pickles. Choose a seedless watermelon or pull the seeds out of the melon flesh before blending.
Lemon zest- just to add depth to the juice’s flavour. Use the juice of one lemon, for a stronger lemon flavour.
Mint- small handful or 6 really large leaves, all fresh.
Water- for the blender to work best.The uses of the juice are to drink as it is, to add to make watermelon lemonade, or as a cocktail mixer.
Substitutions and Adaptations on Watermelon Mint Juice
Lemons can be replaced with lime for a different twist on the flavour. If a lime is used also add the juice of one lime in addition to the lime zest. This is best when the juice is used as a cocktail mixer with vodka or tequila.
Pineapple or Raspberry is a great addition to this drink. Replace ¼ of the watermelon with pineapple/raspberry. Replace all the watermelon with pineapple to have a different tropical juice drink.This also pairs well with vodka or white rum.
Use Honeydew melon or cantaloupe in place of the watermelon or in addition to. if using one of these melons in addition to water melon replace ¼ of the watermelon with the flesh of either honeydew or cantaloupe. We do not use either of these as one of the kids is severely anaphylactic to cantaloupe. We would love to hear if you use this one as we cannot. The honeydew would work well with club soda or vodka, and cantaloupe with rum.
For a Chilled Version of the Watermelon Mint Juice
Pour the prepared juice into ice cube trays filling them ¾ full. Freeze them overnight. Pop out cubes from the container and stored in a sealing freezer bag to make in larger amounts.
To flavour club soda or fizzy water use the frozen juice cubes and garnish with a sprig of mint and a watermelon slice. Alternatively, add the cubes to a high powered blender that can handle ice cubes. Add in ¼-1/2 cup of watermelon juice to the cubes in the blender and blend until slushy. Pour into cups and drink with a reusable spoon straw.
An Adaptation For Those of Legal Drinking Age
To take this from a kid friendly juice recipe to an adult beverage worthy of summer, add a bit of alcohol to the juice. 1-1.5 ounces of alcohol to either 4 ounces of juice and 4 ounces of fizzy water or to 8 ounces of juice. Garnish with a wedge of watermelon, a slice of lemon, and a sprig of mint will be the talk of any adult summer BBQ.
Freeze the juice in cubes in the freezer overnight. Add the cubes and ¼-1/2 cup watermelon juice to the blender.Blend them in a high powered blender until slushy. Add 1.5 ounces of alcohol makes a great version of a margerita or chi-chi blended drink.
Best Alcohols for Mixing With Watermelon Mint Juice
- White Rum
Make sure the alcohol you are using is free of your allergens. Liquor labelling varies greatly from food labels. T ensure your favourite alcohol is suitable for you you may need to contact the manufacturer regarding shared lines and ingredients.
Always drink responsibly, know your limits, never drive after drinking any alcohol. This adaptation is meant only for those of legal drinking age, wherever you are. Always follow all local drinking and imbibing laws.
It is best to store the juice once strained. Watermelon mint juice is not suitable for counter top storage.
Once made the juice will keep for up to 72 hours in a sealed container in the fridge.
Pour the juice into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight to set. Remove the fully frozen the cubes from the tray and transferred to a sealed freezer container or bag. In a sealed container the cubes will keep for two months.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Please leave a comment if you try this recipe. We love hearing from you.
- 400 g fresh cubed watermelon
- 1 C cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Small handful fresh mint about 6 large leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon optional
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until liquid. (If you have a juicing blender or juicer follow your machine’s instructions)
- Put a fine sieve with a wet coffee filter inside over a jug and pour the blender contents out. Don’t pour over the coffee filter and if you press the juice though it will be very cloudy. Once all the blender contents are through the sieve and filter store in the fridge. Reserve the filtered pulp in the filter for watermelon simple syrup.
- Serve over ice or use to make mixed cocktails or our watermelon lemonade.