Garlic steak bites and potatoes is one of those super easy busy day recipes for school nights, work days, or evenings chock full of activities and you cannot afford to spend loads of energy making dinner.
- The Quick Lowdown:
- Why We LOVE This Recipe
- The Ingredient Low Down
- Instructions to Make Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes
- Like This Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes Recipe? Sign up to our Newsletter so you never miss a recipe.
- Substitutions, Variations, & Adaptations
- Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Gravy Tip
- What To Serve With Steak Bites
- 📖 Recipe
- Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Have You Made Our Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes? Please Leave a Comment Below.
- Rate our Recipe.
- We Love To Hear From You!
- Food Safety for Making Slow Cooker Garlic Steak Bites
- Check These Out!
- 💬 Comments
The Quick Lowdown:
Flavour: Garlicky goodness, lushious, and buttery without the dairy.
Texture: The meat is tender and juicy, from slowly cooking it to make it melt in your mouth delicious.
Speed: the recipe cooks slowly over a long time using a slow cooker to ease the workload.
Difficulty: Beginner level. This is a great recipe for those just learning to cook.
Return for effort: high return for the effort. The effort is minimal and well worth it.
Why We LOVE This Recipe
Our kids call this dairy free garlic butter steak bites dish the best bits of stew. It isn’t a stew as we do not serve it with a sauce, or cook it with loads of veggies though you could use the liquid that cooks off to make a gravy or use to dip gluten free bread into.
To me garlic steak bites and potatoes is an easy meal that can be made with little effort. It is a set it and forget it dinner. The house smells so deliciously garlicky when the kids come home from school. It is the best thing to come home to for them on a chilly day. It is also a low effort needed meal, perfect for those busy back to school weeknights, or when there is just so much to do that dinner needs to be easy and effortless.
- Potatoes, gem or nugget
- Stewing Beef
- Plant Based Butter
- Neutral Oil
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Parsley, dried
- ¼ Cup Water (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
The Ingredient Low Down
Potatoes, gem or nugget
The small gem and nugget potatoes work really well in this garlic steak bites and potatoes recipe. They can be all the same colour or the beautiful tri-colour gem potatoes for extra wow-factor for dinner. These kinds of potatoes were called baby potatoes, once upon a time.
They usually get cut in 2-4 pieces so they are bite sized. Leave the peels on them for extra deliciousness. Wash them really well before using to get all the dirt off the outside of the potatoes.
If you don’t have the small potatoes on hand, use a waxy potato. Red potatoes, fingerlings, or new potatoes work really well in place of nugget potatoes. They will need to be cut in a few more pieces than the gem potatoes would have. Make sure the pieces are bite sized for best results.
One of our favourite things we love about dairy free garlic butter steak bites is that we can buy stewing beef, which tends to be cheaper and tougher than some of the prime cuts. The key to making this kind of beef tender is long and slow cooking like this recipe!
Plant Based Butter
Any dairy free, nut free, soy free butter replacement can be used in this slow cooker cube steak recipe. We have tried it with stick and spread varieties and both produce excellent results. The most important thing is to use a butter replacement you like the taste of.
Any high smoke point oil that is neutral in flavour. Avocado is one of our favourite oils to use for this recipe. It has a higher smoke point and doesn’t impart any discernible taste to the dish. Another good oil to use for slow cooker garlic steak bites, if you can handle it, is canola oil. More information about smoke points for oils can be found in this article.
We use dried and powdered versions of these spices: Salt, Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Parsley in this recipe. It is really important to check that the spices are free from gluten and top allergens in the processing facilities.
Instructions to Make Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes
1- Mix the herbs and spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
2- Apply a thin layer of the oil crock pot. This helps the meat and potatoes from sticking to the slow cooker and burning.
3- Add cut potatoes to half the slow cooker.
4- Put the cubed beef in the other half of the slow cooker.
5- Sprinkle the spices that had been set aside on top of the meat, potatoes.
6- Top the meat and potatoes with the cut up bits of plant based buttery sticks. Spread them out over the top so they will trickle down as many of the meat and potatoes cubes as possible.
7- Cook on high for 4-4½ hours or on low for 6-6½ hours. Stir occasionally to keep all the potatoes and meat tender and juicy. If we have less marbled beef, or won’t be able to stir it as often we add ¼ cup of water or beef broth to the slow cooker when we add in the meat. We also add this when we want to make a bit of gravy.
Hint: The liquid from the bottom of the slow cooker can be drained into a pot through a fine mesh sieve. It can be set aside to make a gravy. See out tips below for theo full how to make a gravy from the slowcooker liquid.
Like This Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes Recipe? Sign up to our Newsletter so you never miss a recipe.
Substitutions, Variations, & Adaptations
- Lamb or Bison - Other red meats can be used in place of beef. They may be leaner and may need a bit more oil or plant based butter.
- Onions - Add in onion slices to the slow cooker with the beef and potatoes.
- Mushrooms - Quarter white or brown button mushrooms and add them to the slow cooker.
- Spicy - Instead of garlic based spices use cajun or blackening seasoning for a spicy kick.
A Slow Cooker is a must for this slow cooker cube steak recipe. We use a 6 quart one as it can accommodate the doubling of the recipe for our larger family.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
-Fridge and Freezer
The cooked garlic steak bites and potatoes will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They can alternatively be frozen, in a similar freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
Thaw fully before reheating. Cooked slow cooker garlic steak bites should only be reheated once for best food safety practices.
In a pan with high sides heat a couple portions of dairy free garlic butter steak bites. Add 2 tablespoons of the leftover liquid the beef cooked into the pan and cover. Let it simmer and steam for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove the lid and cook off the remaining liquid in the pan. When all the liquid is gone, add a tablespoon of neutral oil, like avocado oil to the pan, and fry up the potatoes and beef until slightly crispy on the outsides with a bit of golden colour.
In a microwave safe bowl put one portion of slow cooker cube steak. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water or the liquid from the cooking. Heat for 1 minute and 45 seconds. Stir the food and check that it is heated through. Let it cool before eating.
To make a quick amazing garlicky gravy, spoon all the meat and potatoes out of the drippings and liquid at the bottom. Transfer the liquid to a pot and bring it to a simmer over medium/high heat until reducing the liquid by half. This can take 5-10 mins.
Portion out 2 tablespoons of the liquid in a heat safe bowl. To that bowl add in 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch or arrowroot starch and mix it with the liquid until there are no lumps. Pour that slurry back into the pot with the rest of the simmering liquid and whisk it into the gravy. Whisking often, continue to simmer lightly until the gravy has thickened.
What To Serve With Steak Bites
This slow cooker garlic steak bites dish is pretty much a full meal, the only thing you need to add is a vegetable side dish to round it out for the family. We recommend sides that we make often make steamed broccoli, asparagus, carrots or a nice salad as what to serve with steak bites. These vegetable sides work really well with this steak and potatoes in a crock pot main course:
- Slow Cooker - 6 qt
- 2 teaspoon Neutral Oil we use avocado or olive
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Parsley dried
- 2 Lbs Potatoes gem or nugget, quartered
- 1-1.5 Lbs Stewing Beef cubed
- ¼ Cup Plant Based Butter stick cut in ½ inch pats
- ¼ Cup Water or Beef Broth optional
- Mix the herbs and spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Apply a thin layer of the oil crock pot.
- Add cut potatoes to half the slow cooker.
- Put the cubed beef in the other half of the slow cooker.
- Top the meat and potatoes with the cut up bits of plant based buttery sticks.
- Sprinkle the spices that had been set aside on top of the meat, potatoes, and plant based buttery pats.
- Cook on high for 4-4½ hours or on low for 6-6½ hours. Stir occasionally to keep all the potatoes and meat tender and juicy.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Have You Made Our Garlic Steak Bites and Potatoes? Please Leave a Comment Below.
Rate our Recipe.
We Love To Hear From You!
Food Safety for Making Slow Cooker Garlic Steak Bites
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Contact the manufacturer of products, regarding cross contact and ingredients, to ensure they are safe for you
- Always check ingredients for allergens
- Do not use the same utensils on allergen free food, that previously touched allergens
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove