This Chilled Cucumber Soup is the perfect quick summer meal. It is gluten free, vegan, dairy free, and top 8 allergens free. Keep the oven switched off and instead make this savoury summer cool as a cucumber soup.
- The Ingredients For Chilled Cucumber Soup Are Pretty Simple:
- Directions and Tips to Make Allergen Free Cucumber Soup
- Substitutions For Cool as a Cucumber Soup
- Adaptations of Vegan Cucumber Soup
- Storage and Reheating of the Cucumber Soup
- What To Serve With Chilled Cucumber Soup
- Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- 📖 Recipe
Every summer I go through periods where I loathe turning the oven on. The house is stifling enough without added heat. On those days I also never feel like eating. I know we have to but the heat kills my appetite. It is those days that this is the PERFECT recipe for dinner. This cool as a cucumber soup is a great way to quickly eat dinner without feeling like the house will melt and have you actually wanting to eat. This soup is chilled and makes a great make ahead soup course for fancier dinners at home. It saves you a ton of time as you can make it the night before and stir or shake it in a closed container before serving to make sure it is nicely mixed.
The Ingredients For Chilled Cucumber Soup Are Pretty Simple:
- Cucumbers - I use locally grown English cucumbers as they don't have a tough skin and I like to leave the skin on for added thickness in the soup. If you use field cukes you will need to peel the skin as it is too tough to eat here. I remove the seeds with a spoon as leaving them in would make the soup watery.
- Canned coconut milk - Canned works better than the carton kind and If you want it thicker go coconut cream. I stay away from light coconut milk as it doesn't thicken well and will lend to a thinner soup. This is the ingredient that keeps the soup dairy free and top 8 allergens free.
- Salt - You can reduce it but it does need some salt in it for flavour. I love an easy dissolving sea salt in flakes.
- Fresh Dill - I throw stems and leaves in as the stems have a ton of flavour too. You are blending them so they won't be tough or noticeable. leave a few leaves aside for garnish when serving. Fresh works best for the herbs. I haven't tested the recipe with dried herbs.
- Fresh Parsley - Same as with the dill, I use leaves and stems from the fresh herb and not dried. Save a few of the pretty leaves for garnish.
- Lemon - Fresh squeezed lemon juice is perfect in this dish. Be careful with juice presses as the oils from the skin can make the lemon juice bitter and it would be noticeable in this light dish. It is best to squeeze by hand or with a juicer you twist the lemon half on.
- Pepper - Only as much as you like. Go easy on it in the blender, you can add more for serving. Fresh cracked is what I used here.
Directions and Tips to Make Allergen Free Cucumber Soup
The prep takes 10 Minutes and a blender. I don't bother mincing or chopping anything more than to get it to blend smoothly in our blender. Chilling the ingredients is best if you are serving the dish straight away. For best results, chill the cucumber soup for 2 hours to overnight for best mingling of flavours.
Substitutions For Cool as a Cucumber Soup
Coconut Milk - This ingredient needs to be used as a dairy replacement. Other vegan and dairy free cream and milk alternatives won't work. They either flavour the soup too much, give too thin a texture to the soup, or split when the Lemon juice is added and curdles the dairy replacement. It pains me to not have a coconut free substitution or adaptation for this recipe.
Adaptations of Vegan Cucumber Soup
Adding seeded and peeled tomatoes to the blender would be an amazing adaptation. It would make this closer to a gaspacho but creamier.
Storage and Reheating of the Cucumber Soup
It is best to store this soup in a tightly sealed container as it can take on harsh scents and flavours from nearby foods. Basically don't put the vegan cucumber soup in a bowl near Limburger sausage. The soup will keep chilled for 48 hours.
Chilled cucumber soup doesn't freeze well. It is not recommended for freezer storage
The best part of this meal is there is zero heating or reheating! None. This soup is actually best after it has been left to chill in the fridge for 2-12 hours. This deepens the flavours and makes them deeper and richer.
What To Serve With Chilled Cucumber Soup
A lovely leafy greens salad is a perfect accompaniment to this summer chilled soup. If you fancy turning on the oven a gluten free garlic bread is also a great side for this soup. A sandwich like a chickpea "egg" sandwich or roasted potatoes would be a great addition for making this a very filling meal.
The chilled cucumber soup works well as a light summer meal for lunch or dinner. It also is a fabulous starter or appetiser at an outdoor dinner.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- High powered blender
- 2 Bowls for serving
- 1 English cucumber with skin cut in 4 and seeded
- ¾ C canned coconut milk
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1.5 tablespoon fresh Dill leaves with stalks
- Small handful Parsley leaves with stalks
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- Lemon zest of ½ lemon
- Pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Pour into bowls and Garnish with :
- additional lemon zest
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Fresh cracked Pepper
- Medium diced white onion
- Small dill sprig
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a comment and us know how much you liked it.