Creamy with a hint of spice, our Cauliflower Soup vegan recipe is a warming soup. Top 8 allergens free and easy to make, it quickly becomes a family favourite. Allergen friendly cauliflower soup recipe is sure to become a family favourite.
Why we like this recipe
We love this Cauliflower Soup vegan recipe as it is full of flavour but not claggy or gluey. There is a nutty flavour from roasting the cauliflower and the curry adds a beautiful warmth and depth to the dish. We make a lot of soups one reason is because it is a pocketbook friendly way to feed a large family like ours, 4 kids and us 2 adults. Another reason is they are easy to make, require little planning and store well in the fridge and freezer. We love to make our soups in big batches and save half for really busy nights.
Ingredients for this Cauliflower Soup Vegan Recipe
Cauliflower- It is really important when cutting the cauliflower to get the pieces as similar in size as possible. If they are roughly the same size they will roast more evenly and not burn.
Coconut cream- we use this to make the allergen friendly cauliflower soup recipe super creamy. We prefer to use canned coconut cream over canned full fat coconut milk as it gives the soup a silkier texture. If you cannot find canned coconut cream, sometimes found in Asian markets or sections of the grocers, canned coconut milk can be used. The drinking tetra pack coconut milk and cans of light/lite coconut milk are too thin to use and will make the soup runny, and as such are not well suited for this recipe.
We do not use any stock in this cauliflower soup vegan recipe instead the coconut cream gives us the liquid needed.
If you cannot have coconut milk -- Try a full fat gluten free oat milk. It will need to be a bit thicker than the regular oat milk, so if that is all that is available in your area there are a couple of ways to thicken it. over medium heat reduce it under a careful as the vegan milk may burn quickly. It will need to reduce by at least a quarter to be able to thicken the soup and not make it watery.
The second way is to add 1-2 Tbsps either cornstarch or arrowroot starch to the same amount of oat milk before adding it into the soup, so it doesn't clump in the soup. Still substituting the coconut milk with the same amount of gluten free oat milk.
How to Make Cauliflower Soup Vegan Recipe
The first step is to roast the cauliflower, this can be done in advance either that day or the day before. In the soup pot, cook down the onions and cook the curry before adding cream. The purpose of heating the curry powder before adding the liquid is to get the best flavour from the curry. This is a trick I learned a really long time ago from a friend who makes all her own Indian spice mixes and Indian food. Since she imparted that knowledge I have found the heating of the curry spices to give a deeper flavour that can better permeate each bite of the dishes we make.
Add in the cream and the roasted cauliflower, garlic, and especially any oil and drippings from the roasting pan. The drippings give the soup extra flavour which is so important. When blitzing this recipe don’t heat all the coconut cream, if you are using a regular high speed blender the soup will not be safe to blend whilst hot. If the soup is hot instead use an immersion blender to puree it.
The Cauliflower Soup Vegan Recipe soup stores well. It will keep for 48 hours in the fridge in a sealed container.
Freezing is also an excellent way to store this roasted cauliflower soup. A sealed container will allow the soup to be kept frozen for 2 months.
On The Stove
Bring it to a soft boil before serving in a pot with a bit of room. Allow it to thaw, if frozen, before reheating on the stove to a boil before serving.
What to Serve With Cauliflower Soup
This soup can be served alone for the family as a meal or with a salad or sandwich. It can also be a starter soup for entertaining. Often we will serve this curried cauliflower soup with “safe for us” crackers, such as these Laiki brand red rice crackers. The Avocado and Apple Pear Salad goes well with this soup.
When garnishing the allergen friendly cauliflower soup recipe we love to fry a few garlic slices in oil until crispy and use them to top the soup. Roasted chickpeas, Truffle oil, and chopped chives are all perfect garnishes for this cauliflower soup vegan recipe.
Other recipes you may enjoy
Cauliflower Soup Vegan Recipe- Vegan, GF/DF, Top 8 Free
- Roasting ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower cut florets thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic whole peeled (if leaving the soup chunky finely dice after roasting
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Soup Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ a medium onion medium diced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 L full fat cooking coconut milk or 2 tins of 400ml coconut milk and 200ml water used to rinse the remaining milk residue
- Sea Salt to taste
- Roasting Instructions
- preheat oven to 400F (or 375F on convection roast)
- break up cauliflower head into florets, cut each in half, and slice each half into 3-4 pieces
- place cauliflower, peeled garlic, and olive oil into a 9x13 inch oven proof casserole dish and mix well with your hands to make sure all are covered with oil. Sprinkle top with salt and pepper.
- put the dish in the oven and roast for 30 mins, stirring, flipping the cauliflower, and re-evening out every 10 mins.
- Soup Instructions
- with 5 minutes left on the roasting. heat oil in the base of a wide bottomed soup pot on medium-high heat
- saute onion in oil until translucent, approx 5-7 mins.
- add curry powder cook 1-2 mins while stirring
- pour in a bit of coconut milk to deglaze the pan while stirring, be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the flavour off of it
- remove from heat, pour in rest of coconut milk
- add roasted cauliflower, garlic and any pan drippings
- blend soup with an immersion blender in the pot (if using a blender make sure the soup is not hot, and return to pot)
- return to heat and bring to a low simmer, let simmer for 20 mins covered, stirring every 5 mins
- uncover and serve