Air fryer boneless beef ribs are quick and easy to make.They are delicious and made with little effort. Top 8 free, gluten and dairy free they are a great kid friendly meal option.
Why We Like This Recipe
We love this air fryer boneless beef ribs recipe because it is so easy! We can make this in minutes and it is so fast to cook. If more tender cuts of meat are used then it can be marinated for less time making this recipe ready to eat in under an hour.
This recipe was made because of our love for garlic dry ribs we used to order from our local asian takeaway restaurant. Instead of using ribs we opted for more kid friendly bites of meat. These are just like what we used to get and have made us so happy we can replace one more or our favourite restaurant dishes.
- Coconut Aminos
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Fresh Ginger
- Neutral Oil
- Chinese Five Spice
- Gluten Free Flour
See recipe card for quantities.
The Ingredient Low Down
The cut of beef you choose will determine the amount of time needed for marinating. The more tender the cut, the less time it needs. The tougher the cut, the longer it will need in the marinade. The meat can be left overnight in the marinade or made in the morning in minutes and left to marinade all day. This is great for cuts like stewing beef and for when you are pressed for time later in the day. All it takes is 3-5 minutes and a bit of planning.
We use these in place of soy sauce in most of our recipes. There are a few different kinds of aminos. Some are sweeter than others, either will work well here for these air fryer boneless beef ribs.
Any neutral oil with a suitable smoke point will work. Go with what is safest for you. We use a pump sprayer we fill with oil that is safe for us rather than aerosolised oil spray. There are fewer ingredients, no allergens, and no chemicals.
Chinese Five Spice
You can make your own five spice if a ready made one isn’t safe for you or readily available. There are a few variations on which 5 spices are in it. The one we love to use is from Feasting At Home.
Cornstarch (or other safe starch)
We are safe with some corn starches. Always make sure yours is allergen free, not all are wheat and gluten free. If corn is a restricted food other starches can be used. Those that work well in this Air fryer boneless beef ribs recipe are tapioca or arrowroot in place of cornstarch.
Gluten Free Flour
Your favourite gluten free flour will work here. It can be plain rice flour or a blend with or without xanthan gum. We find that because we are using gluten free flour the breading will not get as golden brown as regular flour.
Instructions/Directions and Tips
Cut the beef in 1.5 x 1.5 inch cubes. The beef will shrink a bit while it cooks. The goal is to have popcorn sized bites of meat.
Mix all the marinade ingredients in either a large bowl with plastic wrap to cover tightly or in a large sealing plastic food storage bag. Let marinade in the fridge for 1-12 hours. The tougher the cut of meat the longer it should be marinated for. To help with meal prep, if using a tougher cut of meat either prep the marinade and cut the meat the night before or in the morning before leaving for work. It will be ready by dinner time to use and you can pick the recipe back up at step 3.
Drain the beef from the marinade. Set the cubes of meat on a paper towel lined plate. Pat dry with paper towels until most of the moisture is off the outside of the beef. The beef should be fairly dry to get the breading to stick to it.
Preheat the air fryer. Some air fryers have a preheating button with a set time and temperature. If yours doesn't you can preheat at 400F for 5 minutes to warm it up for properly cooking.
Mix the breading ingredients and pour on a plate with deep sides and a flat base. Alternatively, the breading can be mixed in another sealing plastic storage bag. If a bag is used the beef and be put in a few handfuls of meat at a time and shaken around to fully coat. Make sure all sides of the beef cubes are covered with breading.
Dredge the beef in the breading mix piece by piece and place on a separate plate or dry plastic cutting board. Continue until all the beef is breaded. We usually do a few pieces at a time, turning the beef to get all sides.
Spray the fryer basket with a thin coating of neutral oil. The oil should not be dripping or drenched, just a thin layer. Put enough beef cubes in the air fryer to loosely cover the base. More than one batch may be needed to be cooked, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Shake the air fryer boneless beef ribs around to get all sides of the beef. We spray the fryer, then put the beef in and spray the meat well with neutral oil. The areas not sprayed will not crisp up. When shaking, check for areas not sprayed and give a quick squirt. The oil should be a light spray only.
Cook at 400F for 12-13 minutes until cooked and crisp. Stop to shake the breaded meat every 4 mins. This will keep them from sticking together and to cook and crisp evenly.
If there was more than one batch, after they have all cooked we put all the beef back in the air fryer for 2 mins to make sure they are all warm. If you are serving the beef as it comes out of the air fryer or serving the beef as a party appetiser this step can be omitted.
We only use our air fryer with allergen free foods. Allergens are never cooked in it as we cannot clean ours properly and do not want to take the risk of cross contact.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - If this vinegar is not safe for you try rice vinegar white wine vinegar, spirit vinegar, or distilled white vinegar, if it is safe for you.
- Chinese Five Spice - a pinch each of ground cloves, cinnamon, white pepper, star anise, and fennel can be used instead. If those are not safe for you just a pinch of cinnamon or omitting this ingredient is okay.
- Beef - If beef is not safe for you other meats can be used for this re sweeter than others, either will work well here for these air fryer boneless beef ribs. Pork or bison would be the best substitution. If using chicken or turkey only marinated for maximum 1 hour as the meat will start to go opaque in the marinade and change composition.
Don’t have an air fryer? That is okay. You can also cook air fryer boneless beef ribs in the oven at 400F for 15 mins. After letting the bites cook for 10 minutes, flip the beef to crisp up the other side. The beef and pan should still be sprayed with oil. The steak bites may not crisp up as much as in the air fryer.
Instead of adding the garlic powder to the cornstarch and gluten free flour try adding just salt and pepper to vary up the taste. This is closer to the pub style dry ribs.
For a vegetarian friendly version, instead of beef cubes use cauliflower florets. Marinade for only 30 minutes, pat dry, dredge in breading, and cook in the air fryer at 340F for 10-15 mins or until crispy.
Another variation for these air fryer boneless beef ribs is to add chilli oil to the marinade and crushed red chilli flakes to the breading for a spicy adaptation to the beef bites. If you want the beef bites really hot chop and add 1-2 bird's eye chillies to the marinade. Be sure to handle the chillies with proper precautions and don’t touch your eyes.
To make air fryer boneless beef ribs recipe successfully you will need an air fryer for cooking the beef. To prep the marinade and beef this recipe needs a small bowl, a few measuring spoons, a liquid measuring cup, Knife, and Cutting Board. A large bowl with plastic wrap or sealing plastic food storage bag are needed to marinate the meat in the fridge. For breading the meat 2-3 large plates (one with deeper sides for breading) and paper towels are very useful.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
These beef bites will keep in the fridge for 3 days in a container. To keep the breading on them, place a paper towel in the base of the container. The paper towel will soak up extra moisture in the bag so it will not bond to the breading.
They freeze well for 2 months and should be reheated from frozen. Make sure they are
In an oven safe casserole dish or on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cook at 375F for 10-20 minutes from frozen or 5-15 minutes chilled from the fridge.
Spray a thin layer of oil in the air fryer and heat the beef bites in a preheated air fryer. Re-heat for 5-8 mins at 400F from the fridge or 10-15 minutes if frozen. They will be ready to eat when the breading has crisped up and the meat bites are heated through inside to the proper temperature.
Not well suited to microwave reheating. This method will not crisp the outside up.
Blotting the beef dry with a paper towel before cooking will let the breading stick to the meat well. This allows the crust on the air fryer boneless beef ribs to be crispy and not soggy.
What To Serve With
These air fryer boneless beef ribs are perfect served with a side of rice and a salad or sauteed veggies. Roasted Carrots or Roasted potatoes make the perfect side dishes, as well. For a party, these beef bites are great as an appetiser as they do not need to be eaten piping hot. A dip like a safe plum sauce or chilli sauce served with this meat dish at a buffet.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Air Fryer
- Small bowl
- measuring spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Large Bowl with plastic wrap or Sealing plastic food storage bag
- 2-3 Large Plates (one with deeper sides for breading)
- Paper towels
- 2 Lbs Beef
- Neutral oil to spray on the air fryer and beef before cooking
- ½ C Coconut Aminos
- ½ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsps Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- ½ tablespoon Fresh Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Neutral Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ⅔ C Cornstarch or other safe starch
- ⅓ C Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- Cut the beef in 1.5 x 1.5 inch cubes.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in either a large bowl with plastic wrap to cover tightly or in a large sealing plastic food storage bag. Let marinade in the fridge for 1-12 hours.
- Drain the beef from the marinade. Set the cubes of meat on a paper towel lined plate. Pat dry with paper towels until most of the moisture is off the outside of the beef.
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Mix the breading ingredients and pour on a plate with deep sides and a flat base.
- Dredge the beef in the breading mix piece by piece and place on a separate plate or dry plastic cutting board. Continue until all the beef is breaded.
- Put enough beef cubes in the air fryer to loosely cover the base. More than one batch may be needed to be cooked, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Spray the fryer basket and the meat well with neutral oil. Shake the bites around to get all sides of the beef.
- Cook at 400F for 12-13 minutes until cooked and crisp. Stop to shake the breaded meat every 4 mins.
- If there was more than one batch, after they have all cooked we put all the beef back in the air fryer for 2 mins to make sure they are all warm. If you are serving the beef as it comes out of the air fryer this step can be omitted.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Always read the packages and contact the manufacturer to determine if products are right for you and your allergies
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Do not use the same utensils on allergen free food, that previously touched allergens